Minority communities are edged out of the UK’s green spaces. I’m trying to change that | Haroon Mota - I Newz360

Breaking

News Ticker

test banner

Post Top Ad

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Monday, October 2, 2023

Minority communities are edged out of the UK’s green spaces. I’m trying to change that | Haroon Mota

You might think that nature, being free, is available to all – but there are huge racial disparities in access to the outdoors

  • Haroon Mota is a mountaineer and the founder of Muslim Hikers

The British countryside is often perceived as universally accessible, a tranquil escape open for all to enjoy. But is this truly the case? From my experience as a member of and advocate for minority communities in the UK, it has become increasingly evident that time in the natural world is far less accessible to some of us than we would hope.

I’ve been adventuring in the outdoors for nearly 20 years now, and from the very beginning I noticed that I wouldn’t bump into people like myself in rural spaces, despite my city being very diverse.

Haroon Mota is a mountaineer and the founder of Muslim Hikers and Active Inclusion Network

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/q27SceY

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here