‘Sidney Poitier was the only light at the end of the tunnel’: Don Warrington on his lifelong hero - I Newz360

Breaking

News Ticker

test banner

Post Top Ad

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Thursday, January 13, 2022

‘Sidney Poitier was the only light at the end of the tunnel’: Don Warrington on his lifelong hero

The Trinidadian-British stage actor – and star of Death in Paradise and Rising Damp – pays tribute to a Black Hollywood pioneer

When I was in my late 30s, someone came up to me in the street and started talking to me as if I were Sidney Poitier. To the extent that they called me “Sidney”. I said: “I’m sorry – my name is Don.” And they looked at me and said: “Oh Sidney, when did you change your name?” They simply would not accept I was somebody else.

Even if you didn’t model yourself after Poitier, other people would. He was just the go-to reference. I’ve yet to meet a Black actor who hasn’t been compared to him – which is both irritating and enjoyable. And says more about the one making the comparison.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/33e4IF2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here