It takes a village to raise a child. Is communal living the future of parenting? | Sophie Brickman - I Newz360

Breaking

News Ticker

test banner

Post Top Ad

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Monday, November 29, 2021

It takes a village to raise a child. Is communal living the future of parenting? | Sophie Brickman

An intriguing new movement is experimenting with the kind of co-living that defined families for millennia. I decided to find out more

I first spoke to Prophet Walker about a year ago, when I was pregnant with our third child and fresh off a Covid-precipitated six-month stint of living with my parents. Whether it was the kindergartner getting sick, or navigating a crushing deadline with a preschooler underfoot, or juggling dinnertime while eight months pregnant and unable to reach the mac ‘n’ cheese that had been smeared on the floor that I found myself desperate for my parents’ extra sets of hands and wondering how on earth we’d ever made it work without them.

It took a pandemic for me to put my own living practices under the spotlight. Walker had been doing so for his entire life. He is now spearheading a movement to get people to recognize the myriad benefits of ditching that very American vision of two parents, two and a half kids and a white picket fence for the communal living that defined families for millennia.

Sophie Brickman is a contributor to the New Yorker, the New York Times and other publications, and the author of Baby, Unplugged: One Mother’s Search for Balance, Reason, and Sanity in the Digital Age

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/3rr1zey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here