Elena Ferrante: ‘Beauty triumphs in childhood photos, along with charm, joy, happy laughter’ - I Newz360

Breaking

News Ticker

test banner

Post Top Ad

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Saturday, September 8, 2018

Elena Ferrante: ‘Beauty triumphs in childhood photos, along with charm, joy, happy laughter’

Missing is the distress, tiredness, irritation, fear, tantrums

I don’t have much to do with children these days. Friends and relatives send me photographs and videos of their children. I save this material carefully: I like comparing the face of a newborn with what he or she has become at eight months, at two years, at three. I have no photographs of myself as a newborn; the first image goes back to when I was two. Whereas there’s not a day in the life of my granddaughter that has not been entrusted to the future, thanks to her parents’ mobile phones, which are always within reach.

And thanks to these photos and videos, I could describe in detail how the form of the newborn has become the form of a child. If I were to make a film out of this material, I would get an interminable but impressive documentary on the instability of our bodies from birth – the way they continually take shape and lose shape, how they explore the possibilities in an effort to understand what to become, but never find a fixed form. Not to mention crawling, learning to stand upright, the infinite attempts at language, the manipulation of objects: there is a lot you could do with this abundant crop of family images.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/2Mbamcq

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here